Saturday 28 May 2011

Charity Squares

I am sick of doing African Flowers and I have realised that I need more wool, which will have to wait until pay day, so really not any motivation to carry on.

Every year the boys bring home newsletters with requests from the Mini Counsellors at school to knit or crochet 20cm x 20cm squares for charity and I never pay them any notice.  Yes I am not proud of it seeing as I am capable of doing both those amazing crafts.

This year I have decided to rid my ever growing stash of wool that I have in my cupboard, lounge and any other part of the house I can put it.  So with this in mind I am knitting up a storm of squares.  To be honest I started later than when they asked this year.  So to date I have 16 squares and one granny square that is in progress with the odd bits left over from the knitted squares.

My aim is to make at least 30 of these squares.  Some of them I am not proud of but I am refining the basic square pattern as go.

I started searching the internet and of course ravelry for a quick and easy square pattern to follow and found on that you cast on 3 stitches and then increase into the first stitch on each row.  However this creates what I call a beginner's square and I am not happy with that so my pattern is. 

Cast on 3 stitches
Knit first stitch and increase into 2nd stitch, knit to end
When you have reached 20cm then start decreasing
Knit first stitch and knit 2 together, knit to end

I love the simplicity of this pattern and plan to use the left over yarn that I have from other projects from previous years that I have 2 or more skeins to make larger squares for my girls who are really feeling the absolutely freezing weather we are having.

Finally I know that my blog needs some pictures of my projects that I am busy with or doing.  I will add all completed projects so far onto my blog in mass and then will promise to add pictures when I update daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my post, and in return I promise I read all your comments.