Sunday 17 July 2011

Year of Projects - Week 2

My list has morphed and grown since posting it.  Have changed Monster's two patterns as the yarn for those two I really loathe.  Also I have added to it! List Updated

With my goal of getting my stash depleted this year as I feel really guilty about how much space I have taken up with it.  I am busy with Odd Sleeve for Monster.

When I start a new project I always re-write the pattern, I know it takes extra time but I make it so that I can keep track of where I am.  Also because I generally only do patterns where I can knit the body of it in one piece therefore reducing the dreaded seaming!

Once I had finished re-writing the pattern I began to cast on Odd Sleeve with the sleeves first.  Which is the part I always do first as I find them the slowest part of the entire project.

I set myself a goal of doing all 20 rows of ribbing and half the amount of rows for the increases.  Sadly I didn't achieve that goal as I seem to be coming down with a cold and it make me drowsy.

I also worked out the percentage completion value of each stage, which motivates me to get it finished!
  • Sleeves  20%
  • Body  40%
  • Back  55%
  • Front  70 %
  • Sew on Sleeves  75%
  • Sew up Sleeves  80%
  • Neckband  100%
The sleeves can be further broken down
  • Ribbing 5%
  • ½ Increases 5%
  • ½ Increases 5%
  • Shaping Top 5%
With this logic I broke down the body as well
  • Ribbing 5%
  • ⅓ Body 5%
  • ⅓ Body 5%
  • ⅓ Body 5%
So even with a mushy head I did some serious (for me) maths! LOL

Enough of all of that you came to see a WIP and here it is nothing amazing but he can't wait for it!

 
Off to see all your updates!  Have a fantastic productive week!

18 comments:

  1. Its looking really good and I hope your cold goes soon, lots of vitamins and liquids and you'll soon be back to meet your targets xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's analytical! It's cool to really understand where you're at with your WIP! Nice! Please get better soon! Take Care, Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon and good luck with the jumper!

    I rewrote a section of a pattern last night. I honestly think it would be completely clear to most people, but after getting it wrong 3 times (entirely my fault) I'm ready to try anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to laugh about your 'stash reduction' dilemma !! I have a huge stash but whenever I decide to make something I think is a bit special, I rush out and buy more. Remember though, she who dies with the biggest stash wins. Your WIP is coming along nicely - good luck with your personal challenges. I hope your cold goes away quickly. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get well soon!

    I like to set myself mini goals within a project too - I think it helps to see prgress when sometimes there is very little to actually 'see' if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're doing well, despite not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon. I didn't meet either project goal I set for myself yesterday...came close, perhaps today I can meet yesterday's goal. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! What yarn are you using? It has such a nice sheen to it and looks really snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your comments! I love reading them as much as I love reading your blogs!

    Marsha the yarn is Patons Fab DK. Not sure if you can still get it, we can't over here. Which is really upsetting. I don't know why, no explaining it but I absolutely love this yarn and if I had known we weren't going to get it here anymore I would have bought masses of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on a stash busting mission too but none of the yarns in my stash are inspiring so thinking about whether to sell some of it and then buy new all over again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sip some chicken soup! I hope you feel better soon so the creating an continue. :)
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking lovely! I admit I'm not a mathematical/analytical person at all - my knitting is much more organic, so it's interesting to read how other people think.

    Hope you are feeling well again soon
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see more! And, I love how you've organized your list

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, I always suspected there was far more knitted volume in sleeves than I was giving them credit for. I usually think in percentages too, but I've never taken the time to write them out!

    Seaming isn't so bad; there are some awesome mattress stitch tutorials online and if you do it right, the seams really are invisible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely grey yarn on your project. I like that you have broken it down into bits, crossing stuff off a list when it is done is always good and makes a big project seem more achievable

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried to divide my list into how many rows I would have to do daily to stay on track and I got woozy! Perhaps i should focus on just a project at a time. The yarn you are using looks very soft and perfect for a sweater. feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took a finishing course from Wise Hilda (http://wisehilda.blogspot.com/) at my LYS. Best $20 knitting money I ever spent. Now when I seam up, I tend to sit there giggling saying "see this seam...no you don't!" (I am easily amused)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love working with goals in mind and your though process is impressive! Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow such logic with your knitting that is way cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my post, and in return I promise I read all your comments.